Samsung Galaxy S5: How to Change Sound Profile in Android 4.4.2 Kitkat

In certain condition, you may need to change the sound profile on your Samsung Galaxy S5. In a normal situation, you will probably place your phone on sound mode, but in some other situations you probably have to place your phone on silent or vibration mode in order to make your phone doesn't play any device sound or only vibrates so that it will not disturb others. Luckily, Samsung Galaxy S5 lets you to change the sound profile so that you can place your phone in the desired one with ease according to your need.


How to change sound profile?
Generally, there are three methods that can be used to change the sound profile: from the notification panel, from the settings menu and from the device options.


Method #1: From the notification panel
  1. On any screen, swipe down the top of the screen to open up the notification panel.
  2. Tap the Sound/Vibrate/Mute button to change the sound profile. The button will change depending on the sound profile you're using:
    • : this button will display when the sound profile is set to Sound. In this mode, the phone will play sounds for incoming calls, notifications, media and system.
    • : this button will display when the sound profile is set to Vibrate. In this mode, the phone will vibrate for incoming calls and will silence the notifications.
    • : this button will display when the sound profile is set to Mute. In this mode, the phone will silence all sounds, except the media sound, without having to turn off the phone.


Method #2: From the settings menu
  1. Swipe down the top of the screen to open up the notification panel and then tap to go to the settings menu.
  2. With the settings menu is displayed in grid view, scroll down to the Sound and display section and then tap Sound .
  3. Tap Sound mode and then select from the following options:
    • Sound: select this option to enable sound mode. In this mode, the phone will play sounds for incoming calls, notifications, media and system.
    • Vibrate: select this option to enable vibration mode. In this mode, the phone will vibrate for incoming calls and will silence the notifications.
    • Mute: select this option to enable silent mode. In this mode, the phone will silence all sounds, except the media sound, without having to turn off the phone.


Method #3: From the device options
  1. Long press the Power key until you see the device options is displayed.
  2. Tap to enable silent mode. In this mode, the phone will silence all sounds, except the media sound, without having to turn off the phone. The button will turn green when it's enabled.
  3. Tap to enable vibration mode. In this mode, the phone will vibrate for incoming calls and will silence the notifications. The button will turn green when it's enabled.
  4. Tap to turn on sound mode. In this mode, the phone will play sounds for incoming calls, notifications, media and system. The button will turn green when it's enabled.

As a note, when your phone is on mute/silent mode, you can press the Volume up key once to enable the vibration mode or press it twice to enable the sound mode. When you're in the vibration mode, you can press the Volume up key once to enable the sound mode.

5 comments:

  1. When I am in my "Sound Profile" on my S5 I change the settings to turn the vibration off, because I only want sound and not sound and vibrate.

    However, for whatever reason, turning off the vibrate setting in my "sound profile" also turns off the vibrate setting in my "vibrate profile" so when I am in my "vibrate profile", it is just silent. So i go onto my vibrate profile to turn the vibrate back on, but this turns on the vibrate for both the "vibrate profile" and the "sound profile"

    Why are these settings affecting each other if they are part of different volume profiles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony Flores,
      Thanks for coming.
      By default, if you choose "Sound" then you can set the incoming calls to only ring without vibrate by disabling the "Vibrate when ringing" option. While, if you choose "Vibrate" then it will automatically turn off the ringtone so that the incoming calls will only vibrate.

      As a note, you can also easily turn on "Vibrate" profile by dragging the volume bar for ringtone to the most left, or turn off "Vibrate" by increasing the volume for ringtone. Thus, though they're located in the separate menu, they're related one another. If you explore your phone, you will probably find that this phone has some options/features that are related one another.

      Delete
  2. I can not hear well when I am in a Media, ie "you tube" or whatever.I have a Samsung S5 900A. I have to hold the phone closer to my ear, then I can not see the instructions!! This is so frustrating and it's driving me bananas!!!
    Can some please advise me if there is any way to increase the volume so I CAN HEAR on You Tube!! Greatly thankful for your HELP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reference to my above post I wanted to add that my Galaxcy S5 is 4.4.2 kit kat. Can anyone answer this question or is there no way to fix the Sound problem I described?
      Thx for your help

      Delete
  3. Hi, I have just purchased a second hand Samsung S5 Neo and wanted to change the ringtone as it was originally just a bleep, so went into settings / sounds and notifications / ringtones and sounds and entered my ringtones folder to choose a ringtone (an MP3 which I had set up. When I selected my file I noticed that the ringtone was now set to Silent and nothing I did seems to change this - so I am stuck with a silent phone! Help please

    ReplyDelete

Hi the insiders,
Thanks for coming and I hope you can get something useful here.
Before submitting your comment to ask about an issue, please make sure to provide information as much as possible (at least write your model number and Android version) and describe the problem clearly.
Also, since all comments will be moderated, all comments with irrelevant links(if any) or contain with offensive/harsh word will be deleted.
The last, if you have a question and can't find the relevant article, please feel free to reach me through the Contact us page. I'll be more than happy to reply the email and answer the question :)